Since the 1850s researchers have tried to show that variations in seasonal weather are connected in some ways with sunspots
On this basis, some meteorologists predicted that the winter of 1988-1989 in the United States would be severe. However, the winter was a mild one overall, and the meteorologists' attempt to make the connection between the Sun and weather on the Earth appeared unsuccessful, until Barston and Liverzey proposed a hypothesis explaining why the prediction had failed. They argued that the prediction had not taken into account another important element in the climate: the more or less regular pattern of fluctuations in the temperature of the surface waters of the tropical Pacific Ocean.
Barston and Livezey noted that when the water temperature is abnormally high-the phenomenon called EL Nino—the changes of cold winter weather over North American increase. The opposite situation, when surface temperatures are well below normal—La Nina—is far less common. In fact, until late 1988 no one had seen the combination of La Nina, westerly winds in the upper atmosphere, and high solar activity.
Thus, according to Barston and Livezey, La Nina cancelled out the effect of the other two climatic factors and caused the mild winter of 1988-1989. Although this hypothesis is plausible, much research remains to be done before meteorologists can establish and explain the effects of increased solar activity on seasonal weather changes.
The author of the passage would most likely agree
A.Because the evidence supporting such a link is questionable, future research in this particular area does not looking promising.
B. Because it is unlikely that such a link can be definitely established, scientists should concentrate their efforts on investigating the role La Nina and other climatic factors play in influencing global weather patterns.
C. Although some circumstantial evidence suggests that such a link exists, it is unlikely that future research will be able to confirm the existence of this link.
D. There is evidence supporting the existence of such a link, but without further scientific investigation that evidence cannot be considered proof that such a link exists.
E.Since the evidence clearly supports the existence of such a link, further research should focus on determining the implications of this link for the accurate prediction of changes in global weather patterns.
- 【OG18-P680-668题】In a review of 2,000 studies of human behavior that date back to the 1940s, two Swiss psychologists, declaring that since most of the studies had failed to control for such variables as social class and family size, none could be taken seriously.
- Following several years of declining advertising sales, the Greenville Times reorganized its advertising sales force two years ago. Before the reorganization, the sales force was organized geographically, with some sales representatives concentrating on city-center businesses and others concentrating on different outlying regions. The reorganization attempted to increase the sales representatives’ knowledge of clients’ businesses by having each sales representative deal with only one type of industry or of retailing. After the reorganization, advertising sales increased.In assessing whether the improvement in advertising sales can properly be attributed to the reorganization, it would be helpful to find out each of the following EXCEPT:
- The author of the passage would most likely agree with which of the following statements about the link between increased solar activity and certain seasonal weather changes on the Earth?
- The passage provides information to support which of the following statement about La Nina?
- X: In order to reduce the amount of plastic in landfills, legislatures should impose a ban on the use of plastics for packaging goods.Y: Impossible! Plastic packaging is necessary for public safety. Consumers will lose all of the safety features that plastic offers, chiefly tamper-resistant closures and shatterproof bottles.Which of the following best describes the weak point in Y's response to X's proposal?