Words that express comparisons, such as similar, require either a plural object, with an
optional expression of the entities being compared, or a singular object, in which case this explicit comparison is required. Thus its being so genetically similar, without this explicit comparison, is incorrect. Also, the two sides of the construction consider … to be must agree in number (fellows … close relatives, not fellows … a close relative).
A.Consider all their fellows to be a close relative shows incorrect agreement, with plural
fellows and singular a close relative.
B.Its being so genetically similar is incorrect because there is no explicit statement of what the ant is similar to; also, the plural fellows and singular a close relative do not agree.
C.It is so genetically similar is incorrect because there is no explicit statement of what the ant is similar to.
D.Correct. The clause with similar uses the plural they and an explicit to one another, and agreement is respected between ants and fellows.
E.The plural fellows and singular a close relative do not agree.
The correct answer is D.
- 【OG18-P680-668题】In a review of 2,000 studies of human behavior that date back to the 1940s, two Swiss psychologists, declaring that since most of the studies had failed to control for such variables as social class and family size, none could be taken seriously.
- 【OG18-P680-671题】Manufacturers rate batteries in watt-hours; if they rate the watt-hour higher, the longer the battery can be expected to last.
- The passage provides information to support which of the following statement about La Nina?
- The author of the passage would most likely agree with which of the following statements about the link between increased solar activity and certain seasonal weather changes on the Earth?
- Following several years of declining advertising sales, the Greenville Times reorganized its advertising sales force two years ago. Before the reorganization, the sales force was organized geographically, with some sales representatives concentrating on city-center businesses and others concentrating on different outlying regions. The reorganization attempted to increase the sales representatives’ knowledge of clients’ businesses by having each sales representative deal with only one type of industry or of retailing. After the reorganization, advertising sales increased.In assessing whether the improvement in advertising sales can properly be attributed to the reorganization, it would be helpful to find out each of the following EXCEPT: