Verb Form; R
This sentence seems to be saying illogically that the goal is to reduce the guests themselves, instead of to reduce the number of guests who express dissatisfaction or to reduce the expressions of dissatisfaction. End up has no meaningful role in the sentence and is
somewhat misleading. End up expressing suggests that the expression comes as the
culmination of a process whose outcome has been uncertain, perhaps as the result of the guests deliberating and changing their minds. Most likely, the goal is to reduce the number of guests who express dissatisfaction, not merely the number of those who end up doing so.
A.Reducing the guests should be changed to reducing the number of guests or reducing the expressions of dissatisfaction. As explained above, end up is superfluous and misleading.
B.As explained above, end up is superfluous and misleading. Also, a minor consideration is that the goal to (infinitive) is less standard than the goal of (participle) and might be jarring to some readers.
C.With the hotel service appears illogically to modify the guests. This modifier should be placed next to dissatisfaction. Also, ultimately with the goal seems to indicate that the commission does not yet have the goal but that it ultimately will have. The more likely intended meaning would be better expressed as with the ultimate goal. In general,
direct modifiers should not be separated from the word they modify, if possible.
D.The relative clause that ends up . . . modifies the plural guests (not, in this context,
number), so the correct verb form is end up. Furthermore, end up is superfluous and misleading.
E.Correct. The with phrase is concise, and it is the number of guests, not the guests
themselves, that is to be reduced. With the hotel’s service is adjacent to dissatisfaction. Also, in the relative clause starting with who, the implicit subject of express is guests, so this verb correctly agrees with its subject.
The correct answer is E.
- 【OG18-P680-668题】In a review of 2,000 studies of human behavior that date back to the 1940s, two Swiss psychologists, declaring that since most of the studies had failed to control for such variables as social class and family size, none could be taken seriously.
- Following several years of declining advertising sales, the Greenville Times reorganized its advertising sales force two years ago. Before the reorganization, the sales force was organized geographically, with some sales representatives concentrating on city-center businesses and others concentrating on different outlying regions. The reorganization attempted to increase the sales representatives’ knowledge of clients’ businesses by having each sales representative deal with only one type of industry or of retailing. After the reorganization, advertising sales increased.In assessing whether the improvement in advertising sales can properly be attributed to the reorganization, it would be helpful to find out each of the following EXCEPT:
- The author of the passage would most likely agree with which of the following statements about the link between increased solar activity and certain seasonal weather changes on the Earth?
- The passage provides information to support which of the following statement about La Nina?
- Which of the following most accurately describes the organization of the passage?