During and immediately after a war, Hollywood films typically trumpet the glory of sacrifice and unquestioning patriotism. Ten to fifteen
Guadalcanal Diary, produced during the second world war, portrayed “the ultimate sacrifice” as a noble and undisputed good while diminishing the ethical complexities. By 1957, though, films such as The Bridge on the River Kwai, first published in book form in 1952, were winning awards for depicting the moral confusion inherent in war.
Subsequently, the movie The Green Berets, produced at the height of the Vietnam war in the late 1960s, was far closer in tone to Guadalcanal Diary than to The Bridge on the River Kwai. A decade or more passed before the film industry finally began producing more complex and ambivalent depictions of the Vietnam war, such as Apocalypse Now and Platoon.
For what purpose does the author include the second sentence
AIt is part of the description of a pattern that is the main point of discussion in the passage.
BIt offers an example designed to support the main idea of the passage.
CIt offers an example designed to weaken the main idea of the passage.
DIt illustrates a belief that the author of the passage does not hold to be valid.
EIt provides evidence that the author’s main contention is true.
- Many Runagian senior citizens are no better off financially now than they were before the increase.The phrase “better off” is closest in meaning to________?
- The word "accidental" is closest in meaning to___________ ?
- Who can it be? I’ m quite ____ a loss to guess．
- The number of people flying first class on domestic flights rose sharply in 1990, doubling the increase of the previous year.
- The word "conspicuous" is closest in meaning to______ ?