Anole lizard species that occur together (sympatrically) on certain Caribbean islands occupy different habitats: some live only in the grass,
If each type of specialist evolved just once, then similar specialists on different islands would be closely related. Conversely, if the specialists evolved independently on each island, then a specialist on one island would be more closely related to other types of anoles on the same island—regardless of their ecological niches— than it would be to a similar specialist on a different island. Biologists can infer how species are related evolutionarily by comparing DNA sequences for the same genes in different species. Species with similar DNA sequences for these genes are generally more closely related to each other than to species with less-similar DNA sequences. DNA evidence concerning the anoles led researchers to conclude that habitat specialists on one island are not closely related to the same habitat specialists elsewhere, indicating that specialists evolved independently on each island.
Which of the following best describes the purpose of
A. It raises a question about why coexisting anole lizard species occupy the different types of habitats mentioned in the first sentence.
B. It introduces a fact about anole lizard species that the passage will go on to explore.
C. It identifies a particular aspect of anole lizard behavior that distinguishes anoles from other lizard species.
D. It explains why one aspect of anole lizard species’ habitat use has been difficult to account for.
E. It points out a surprising relationship between morphology and habitat use that is explained in the concluding paragraph.
- Many Runagian senior citizens are no better off financially now than they were before the increase.The phrase “better off” is closest in meaning to________?
- The word "accidental" is closest in meaning to___________ ?
- Who can it be? I’ m quite ____ a loss to guess．
- The number of people flying first class on domestic flights rose sharply in 1990, doubling the increase of the previous year.
- The word "conspicuous" is closest in meaning to______ ?