First identified in 1969, komatiites are Earth’s oldest known volcanic rocks and contain three times as much magnesium as do
Komatiites’ discovery was surprising in light of then-current geological theories about magmas, molten rock that forms in the Earth’s mantle (the layer beneath the crust) and composes volcanic lava eruptions. Prior to 1960, geologists Bowen and Hess disagreed over whether or not the very high temperatures needed to produce magmas rich in magnesium could have existed on Earth. Hess suggested that the presence of water, probably released from minerals decomposing in the Earth’s mantle, might have meant that a high-magnesium magma could have existed at a lower temperature. But Bowen showed experimentally that the high temperatures were indeed necessary. By 1960, it was generally accepted that volcanic rocks with such high levels of magnesium could not exist, and thus the discovery of komatiites changed geologists’ assumptions about the characteristics of the Earth’s mantle around the time of the formation of komatiites, between 2.5 and 4 billion years ago.
Which of the following most accurately describes the organization of
A. Two divergent views of a scientific phenomenon are reconciled.
B. A phenomenon is described and its scientific significance is discussed.
C. The discovery of a scientific phenomenon is traced and its implications for further research are suggested.
D. A long-standing scientific theory is examined and recently discovered evidence is shown to support it.
E. The ways in which a particular geological phenomenon is exceptional are detailed and classified.
- Many Runagian senior citizens are no better off financially now than they were before the increase.The phrase “better off” is closest in meaning to________?
- The word "accidental" is closest in meaning to___________ ?
- Who can it be? I’ m quite ____ a loss to guess．
- The number of people flying first class on domestic flights rose sharply in 1990, doubling the increase of the previous year.
- The word "conspicuous" is closest in meaning to______ ?