The sentence claims that demands for river water may change the saline content of the bay, possibly altering the flavor and size of oysters there and diminishing the oysters’ marketability. The sentence is not parallel. It should read which would rob the oysters …
and make them decrease to be parallel and grammatical. The series of three phrases after
make them that describes what will happen to the oysters also needs to be parallel.
A.The referent of the relative pronoun, which, is ambiguous; the two effects of altered
saline content are not expressed in parallel form, with a relative clause expressing the first effect, and an infinitive phrase expressing the second.
B.The referent of the pronoun it is ambiguous. Also, the effects of the bay’s altered saline content are not expressed in parallel form—the first being an independent clause and
the second a verb phrase.
C.The comma before the conjunction and signals that an independent clause will follow
and, but a verb phrase follows instead. The series of phrases following making them
lacks appropriate parallelism.
D.Correct. The potential effects on the oysters are expressed by two parallel participial phrases, the second of which lists three adjectives correctly in a series.
E.The series of phrases following making them lacks appropriate parallelism.
- 【OG18-P680-668题】In a review of 2,000 studies of human behavior that date back to the 1940s, two Swiss psychologists, declaring that since most of the studies had failed to control for such variables as social class and family size, none could be taken seriously.
- 【OG18-P680-671题】Manufacturers rate batteries in watt-hours; if they rate the watt-hour higher, the longer the battery can be expected to last.
- The passage provides information to support which of the following statement about La Nina?
- The author of the passage would most likely agree with which of the following statements about the link between increased solar activity and certain seasonal weather changes on the Earth?
- Following several years of declining advertising sales, the Greenville Times reorganized its advertising sales force two years ago. Before the reorganization, the sales force was organized geographically, with some sales representatives concentrating on city-center businesses and others concentrating on different outlying regions. The reorganization attempted to increase the sales representatives’ knowledge of clients’ businesses by having each sales representative deal with only one type of industry or of retailing. After the reorganization, advertising sales increased.In assessing whether the improvement in advertising sales can properly be attributed to the reorganization, it would be helpful to find out each of the following EXCEPT: